DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial) is a broadcast service promoting digital television according to European standards. The advantage of this method is the sharp image, depth, eliminating the phenomenon of ghost free which is the disadvantage of conventional analog television, eliminating the harmful effects of reflected waves, not affected by interference emitted by computers, electric motors, lightning ... Digital Terrestrial Television have the ability to receive in fixed or portable, mobile way on public transport such as cars, trains. Typically, to use this technology, the signal will be transmitted over the radio by broadcast antennas and users need a receiving antenna with a digital receiver (Set top box) to decode and convert the signal or TV with built-in DVB-T / T2 decoder.
This technology is applied by SCTV to transmit over coaxial cable network to provide customers.
HFC cable network infrastructure currently owns many advantages as well as outstanding advantages to deploy DVB-T / T2 wave including:
· Availability and universality: Due to its early implementation, HFC coaxial cable network infrastructure has covered most provinces and cities nationwide and has a number of users remarkably compared to other types of television, coaxial cable from network infrastructure coming straight to the customer's TV socket without having to pay for transceivers.
· Stable quality: Being less affected by the surrounding environment, the transmission signal in HFC cable network infrastructure has a superior quality than air transmission, ensuring the quality of TV channels meeting the needs of users.
· Broadband: Because the frequency fund in HFC infrastructure is large and broadband data transmission, the number of channels can be up to several hundred channels in Full HD, 4K, 8K quality, etc. The broadcast of DVB-T2 into the HFC coaxial cable network saves a lot of frequencies and radio bandwidth for the country.
· Economic efficiency: For businesses that own HFC coaxial network infrastructure, the initial investment cost for DVB-T2 broadcast is quite low, it is possible to take advantage of the existing system to do this.
Therefore, SCTV applies this technology to develop the service of providing DVB-T / T2 digital TV channels through SCTV's coaxial cable network infrastructure to provide for households or hotels using TV with a built-in DVB-T / T2 decoder. It is expected to broadcast about 80 channels on 10 frequencies.
v DVB-T2 broadcast plan in cities / provinces of SCTV:
- For regions that do not broadcast analogue, only broadcast DVB-C digital television such as Lam Dong, Da Nang, Dak Lak:
+ SCTV will broadcast DVB-T / T2 digital channels instead of analog channels.
+ Households or hotels must use a TV with a built-in DVB-T / T2 decoder
- For analogue broadcasting stations, DVB-C digital TV and Docsis Internet such as Ho Chi Minh City and Phu Quoc:
+ SCTV will broadcast DVB-T / T2 channels exclusively for hotels by:
· Pull optical fiber transmitting the MPTS paired DVB-T/T2 channel to the hotel and set the DVB-T / T2 modulator at the hotel .
· Pull optical fiber transmitting the DVB-T/T2 RF down to the hotel using the optical transmitter - receiver.
+ Hotels must use a TV with a built-in DVB-T / T2 decoder